About forty people attended the second meeting of the Irish Linux Users'
Group, this was much more successful than the first.
- The first meeting was discussed.
- The mail archive was noted as being broken, since then it has been
fixed by Caolan McNamara.
- It was decided to leave the ILUG mailing list unmoderated for the
- The Group talked about getting a Linux CD on an Irish computer
magazine, getting custom PPP scripts for the Irish ISPs available. Irish
language patches were discussed as were applying these to a well known
distribution. the idea of creating a full blown distribution of Linux was
regarded as excessive - John Looney being in charge of this idea.
- Website related ideas were suggested, concisely:
- A list of emails so that a user may find a user close by for help,
this could be used as an indication of how many Linux users are in
- Irish media links relating to Linux.
- Links to other user groups.
- Links to companies using linux.
- Links to projects undertaken|written by ILUG members.
- It was decided to check the possibilities of Dell or Gateway 2000
offering Linux on their machines and approach smaller companies about getting
them to offer Linux as an other operating system of choice (ie instead of
- It was suggested that the group register the domain linux.ie - it has
since been done.
- There was some discussion regarding ILUG mirroring resources in
Ireland - complementary alternative to the ftp.heanet.ie site. It was
decied to approach esatnet with regard to them offering a mirror service -
David Harte's name is against this. It was agreed that large static sites
such as RedHat and friends, along with rapidly changing projects of
interest (for example Netscape, KDE and Gnome) should be most elligible
- There was some discussion on the creation of Special Interest Groups
which would have workshops at later ILUG meetings. Proposed topics
- Programming in the unix environment with C, GCC, GDB and friends.
- Setting up Linux. A thought on this was to arrange an 'installfest',
probably in a University, in an attempt to interest students in
- In connection with the thought of Special Interest Groups, it was
decided that a 'voting' page on the ILUG website should be implemented so
that people could decide on what workshops ought to be held at future
- Travelling to Ulster University was suggested, doing a rolling tour of
Ireland for the first group of meetings and then settling down on one or
- John Looney and Dave Harte took names of people wanting linux
t-shirts that they showed us.
- A rough agreement was made to have the next meeting in Galway in about
6 or 7 weeks time later (around the second last weekend in July).
- Some thoughts were given about the next ILUG mmeting being in a more
formal 'conference' style with:
- A talk by somebody of interest.
- That Special Interest Group workshops be held in parrallel (manageable
groups of people).
- Closing remarks and discussion of the day.
- Demonstrations of Blender, Gimp, KDE and David Airlie's rather cool
laptop were given.
- Adjourned to a pub! B-0