1. Name of Society.
1. The name of the society shall be the Irish Linux Users Group
2. Aims and Objectives.
The aims and objectives of the society shall be as follows:
1. To increase and promote awareness of the Linux operating
system within both the home and corporate sectors of the
Irish Computing industry.
2. To provide a forum to discuss and gain experience of the
Linux operating system.
3. To help educate people in the usage of Linux and related
4. To promote Irish contributions to the kernel source code
1. Full membership of the society shall be open to anyone who is
a resident of the island of Ireland who agrees to support the
aims of the Society.
2. Associate membership shall be open to anyone who is not
eligible for full membership.
3. Membership shall be obtained by either:
i. Subscribing to the ILUG Mailing List or
ii. Registering with the Secretary of the Society.
There is currently no membership fee.
4. All members shall be bound by this constitution.
1. The society shall have a governing committee.
2. The committee shall run the society on behalf of the members
and in accordance with the aims and objectives.
3. Committee decisions shall be decided by majority voting.
4. A quorum shall be shall be four committee members.
5. The committee shall consist of
o Public Relations Officer
o 4 ordinary committee members
6. The term of office of these elected officers shall be one
7. A person should not hold the same office for more than three
5. Election of Committee.
1. The committee members shall be democratically elected at an
Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting.
2. To seek election to the committee each candidate must have 2
nominations by current members of the society.
3. Members are only eligible to vote if they have been full
members of the society for more than three months at the date
of the election.
6. Duties of Committee.
1. The Chairperson shall be the chief officer of the society
whose functions include chairing all meetings of the
committee and officiating at meetings of the society. They
shall preserve order and decorum, and shall construe and
enforce the Constitution.
2. The Secretary's function shall be to deal with all
correspondence and records of the society and to notify all
members of meeting times. They shall duly record the minutes
of both committee and general assembly meetings. They shall
also maintain an up to date list of society members.
3. The Treasurer's function shall be to administer the funds of
the society and to maintain accounts and budgets. They shall
act as liaison with related industries and co-ordinate
obtaining sponsorship for the society with the office of PRO.
4. The Public Relations Officer (PRO) shall be responsible for
the advertising of all functions of the society through all
means possible, aided where necessary by the other members of
5. The ordinary committee members shall assist the Officers in
their roles, and shall attend all committee meetings.
6. The committee shall endeavour to meet at least once a month.
No remuneration shall be offered to cover the cost of
7. Dismissal & Resignation of Committee Members.
1. No member of the committee shall be dismissed from the office
1. Written notice of a resolution to seek such dismissal,
signed by at least 10% of the members of the society, or
20 members (whichever is the lower amount), is received
ten working days prior to a meeting at which such
resolution shall be debated.
2. The resolution is passed by at least a two thirds voting
majority at the meeting.
2. A committee member wishing to resign must submit a letter in
writing declaring that intention to the secretary, who will
immediately inform the committee as a whole. The committee
member must remain in office for a minimum time period of two
weeks thereafter, so that an EGM can be held to elect a
replacement. In cases where an EGM cannot be held by said
date the committee may co-opt a member to fill the vacant
1. There shall be an Annual General Meeting (AGM) held each
2. A quorum of a meeting shall be three committee members and
the lower of 5% of the Full Membership or 40 people.
3. The business of the AGM shall also include an annual report
given by the outgoing chairperson and treasurer.
4. An Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) shall be convened if
1. 5% of the ordinary membership of the society request
2. A quorum of the committee request one.
3. A vacancy on the current committee occurs and there is a
need to elect a replacement.
5. Elections for the offices of the committee shall take place
at the AGM, and at an EGM under Article 8.4.3, except in
cases where there are no eligible candidates.
6. The committee shall convene a General Meeting when
7. Notice of all meetings shall given to the membership at least
ten working days prior to the date of the meeting.
8. At a meeting any member may propose a resolution relating to
the business of the society. The resolution shall be voted on
by a show of hands and a declaration of the chairperson that
the resolution is carried, unless a secret ballot is demanded
by any two members, shall be conclusive evidence that the
resolution has passed or failed.
1. Notice of a proposal to seek an amendment to this
constitution shall be given to members at least four working
days prior to the meeting at which such proposal shall be
considered. Such a proposal must receive the approval of two
thirds of the members present at such meeting.
2. A copy of the constitution shall be placed on the Society's
website and be available to all members.