Hi - i'm looking around at the shockingly large number of open source
content management systems out there and i'm being very put off as i
really dont know which one would suit me best.
i know what i want and what i dont need. can anyone suggest something
which might cover these?
* it to be completely in php with a database backend. at least mysql
(but with the current rumblings about the new licence it would be nice
if it had support for another database as well. postgres maybe). really
dont want to hear about perl or java or python solutions.
* A nice modular clean codebase.
* An active community using it for support and help
* Forums integrated into the system.
* more than just news. an ability to make reasonably static sections if
need be. news seperate from articles maybe? and articles broken down
* the theme/look and feel to be editable. css-based and easy to
understand when it comes to altering
* fairly lightweight.
* It to be in english. I dont want to have to go around the backoffice
trying to work out what the hell each thing translates as.
* a fairly mature project that isn't going to keep drastically changing
all the time and which i can rely on to have most of the nastier bugs
discovered and patched by now
I dont need:
* users to be able to select their own theme. In fact if this is
possible with the cms i go with, i want to be able to disable it
* a wysiwyg editor. I dont care about a nice backend for altering the
look of the site. i'm happy to play with css.
* too intensive a backoffice for administration. i'm happy to play with
I've looked at opensourcecms.com and cmsinfo.org and although they've
been helpful, what i'd really want would be a nice board showing which
cms systems have what features. since neither have that i thought i'd
throw it out for advice from the collective wisdom that is ilug
PS: i've probably forgotten something fairly important in the above
list. if there is anything else i should probably be aware of in
choosing, please advise
Maintained by the ILUG website team. The aim of Linux.ie is to
support and help commercial and private users of Linux in Ireland. You can
display ILUG news in your own webpages, read backend
information to find out how. Networking services kindly provided by HEAnet, server kindly donated by
Dell. Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds,
used with permission. No penguins were harmed in the production or maintenance
of this highly praised website. Looking for the
Indian Linux Users' Group? Try here. If you've read all this and aren't a lawyer: you should be!