HEAnet, my benevolent employer, are looking to hire two (2) Network Engineer
type persons. Full information is available at http://heanet.ie/about/Careers
(now in PDF format.)
For those averse to clicking things, I've included the job spec for the
Network Engineer role below. Both roles are similar and have the expectation
of requiring technical candidates with some good networking experience and a
passion for learning and experiencing a lot more :)
If anyone has any questions, either mail careers at heanet.ie or drop a mail to
me if it's related to technical aspects of the job.
HEAnet Ltd. seeks to appoint a Network Engineer, who will work within the
existing team to monitor,
maintain and develop the high-speed national research and education network in
Ireland. We are looking
for a network engineer with some experience to work with the Network
Operations and Schools teams to
contribute to the daily running and maintenance of the network, to assist with
the design and deployment
of a new Schools 100Mb pilot network and to ensure that all network elements
are monitored and
The successful candidate will provide input at all levels of system
specification and design within HEAnet.
He or she will:
• Support HEAnet's backbone and access networks.
• Contribute to troubleshooting and problem resolution.
• Communicate with clients and peer networks, particularly during problem
• Communicate with telecomms network and network equipment providers.
• Take part in the NOC duty roster.
• Contribute to configuration, management and maintenance of network
• Assist in the testing of new and existing network systems.
• Provide documentation for all changes made and systems deployed.
• Assist with general specification and procurement of network elements,
tools, systems and
technologies in HEAnet as required.
• Keep up to date with new technologies and methodologies.
• Perform other related duties, as required.
• The successful candidate will report to the Network Operations Manager
A thorough knowledge of TCP/IP networking, network topologies,
technologies and standards is
• Thorough understanding of standard network protocols and
troubleshooting of same required.
(e.g. HTTP, DNS, SMTP, ICMP.)
• Some knowledge of network routing protocols (e.g. BGP, OSPF) required.
Good knowledge of same
a distinct advantage.
• Significant experience with network monitoring and troubleshooting
Good grounding in network security practice and theory is required.
Basic Linux / UNIX system administration skills required.
Some knowledge and experience with IPv6 an advantage.
Good knowledge of at least one scripting language would be a distinct
advantage. (e.g. Perl, bash,
PHP, Python, Ruby, etc.)
Educated to degree level in Computer Science / Computer Engineering
or related discipline, or
equivalent experience (e.g. three years experience with an ISP.)
Good attention to detail.
Pragmatic approach to problem solving.
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Significant experience with switches, routers, firewalls and SNMP a
Experience with SMTP, IMAP, LDAP, SSH, SSL, DNS and Shibboleth an
Experience with WAN type networking a distinct advantage.
Experience of networking technologies such as Ethernet, DWDM, GMPLS
and UCLP an advantage
but not essential.
Experience of use of, or contribution to, open source software
projects advantageous but not
The successful candidate will be based at HEAnet's office, 5 George's Dock,
IFSC, Dublin 1.
Network Engineer / System Administrator band (dependent on experience and
Friday, 18th December 2009
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV to careers at heanet.ie by the closing
date – Friday 18th
Maintained by the ILUG website team. The aim of Linux.ie is to
support and help commercial and private users of Linux in Ireland. You can
display ILUG news in your own webpages, read backend
information to find out how. Networking services kindly provided by HEAnet, server kindly donated by
Dell. Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds,
used with permission. No penguins were harmed in the production or maintenance
of this highly praised website. Looking for the
Indian Linux Users' Group? Try here. If you've read all this and aren't a lawyer: you should be!