From: Paul Curtayne (niche at domain tinet.ie)
Date: Thu 29 Apr 1999 - 10:19:02 IST
Do I understand this correctly?
1. UNIX/Linux bypasses the BIOS completely and accesses the RTC
2. Windows mostly goes throught the BIOS (aside: what Doze progs
access the RTC directly??)
3. The RTC in most pc's uses 2 digits for years and hence is not y2k
4. Compliant BIOS's (ie most current ones) adjust for the RTC and pass
the time to the OS at boot and later
5. If the OS is Linux, the time will be arseways after 2000
6. Linux PC's are shagged even though linux itself is compliant
a. right, and Linux pc's are going to die and we should be panicking
b, wrong, if so where?
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.6 : Thu 06 Feb 2003 - 13:04:10 GMT